Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Pet Peeve...

Wednesday, February 04, 2009
So there's something that's been bothering me lately. It's not a huge deal but it's started to annoy me a little more every time I see it so let me go ahead and put this out there in the universe. I've noticed over the years that it's becoming more and more common for businesses to advertise by having someone stand by the side of the road in a costume and either walk up and down the street holding a sign or dance around and generally act crazy while holding said sign. I think the first time I noticed this was a few years ago when Godfather's pizza in Derby hired this clown to jump around and try to get people's attention as they drove by. (On a side note - every time I saw that clown, and I mean every single time, I had to fight the urge to give him the bird. Is that terrible?) Anyway, the pizza clown, as annoying as it was not really that bad. I mean pizza is fun, clowns are horrifying fun so the clown is not that much of a leap really. Plus, at least with pizza or other fast food, there is a possibility (and I assume this is what the business owner is counting on) that somebody may be driving by and see the dancing pizza clown and think "ya know...I don't have dinner planned, let me just pull in here and grab a pie". What I've noticed (at least here in Atlanta) is that this advertising phenomenon is spreading to areas that don't really seem to fit. There's a kid standing on the corner a few miles from here holding a sign for a chiropractor. To me that's a stretch. But what's even worse is kid in the Statue of Liberty costume who is advertising for the tax preparer! Now stay with me on this...do you really think there is anybody, anywhere who just happens to be driving down the street with all of their receipts, interest statements, W4s, etc who will see the Statue of Liberty costume and say "Oh snap!! I need to get my taxes down like right this instant. Good thing I saw you dancing Statue of Liberty...I'll go ahead and do a quick u-turn so I can pull in to your storefront office and have them done right now". I don't see it happening. And that's why our economy is such a mess. Small business owners are paying big bucks for advertising that has no chance in h-e-double hockey sticks of ever bringing in even one new customer. It's just not going to happen.

2 comments:

Unknown

I'm not real sure why my post didn't take. I'll say it again, but just know I feel awkward like when you say something you think is funny but nobody laughed and you're not sure if they heard you or not so you say it again only louder...
Don't worry because I'm sure that the clown is thinking worse things about you than you are thinking about him. 1st)think of how much of a creep you have to be to take that job in the 1st place, 2nd)think about how much creepier you'd become after 40 hours of dancing around in a clown suit. I'd be real careful about flipping him off though because he'd probably call up his connections and you'd wake up dead, with a clown smile etched in your face. I don't know about uncle sam or the statue of liberty. They'd probably just steal your shit and leave you some cheese or something. Or they'd kill you in a normal fashion. Either way, they'd be creeps too, so be careful. XjdubX

Anonymous

YO MAN - this is a RIOT that we posted almost the EXACT same thoughts - could be SCARY ha ha ha - that is a trip - thanks for leaving some comment love on my post. Guess you are about 10 days ahead of me in the thought process though!

Glad to see you are back up on the Blog horse! Keep it up!

Post a Comment

 
T-Bone's World ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates