Wednesday, February 18, 2009

John Wayne Gacy Jr.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009
This is one of the best songs by one of the very best songwriters around today. In the words of my brother "if you don't think this song is amazing, do the world a favor and go ahead and punch yourself in the face".




***update***
I've been thinking some more about this song since I posted it last night. I think it deserves a little deeper look. First of all, Sufjan (pronounced Soof-Yawn in case you're curious) Stevens sings like an angel on this track. He has a wonderful falsetto voice and he uses it masterful effect on this song. This is a dark song about a person who was responsible for some of the most horrifying murders in our country's history. He manages to humanize the character of John Wayne Gacy somewhat when he speaks of his home life and a childhood accident. By focusing on Gacy's childhood, he is able to evoke this sense that the killer is somone was once a child and was innocent at some point. What really moves me about this song is the final verse:

In my best behavior
I am really just like him
Look beneath the floorboards
At the secrets I have hid

The way he turns this song around and uses the image of this notorious serial killer as a mirror through which we can view the depravity of our own souls is really striking. I'd love to hear any other thoughts or interpretations of this amazing song.

2 comments:

Being Robinson

Yeah I discovered this guy on Pandora. Awesome! I'm a TOTAL fan. I'm smellin' what your steppin' in Crafton...

Unknown

The whole song is a masterpiece, but I agree the final verse is extra amazing. By the way, on the soul patch poll i'd have like a few more options. I voted for "it's awesome" but really its just a soul patch, not sure if it's "awesome". or was that your manipulative plan? Jdub

Post a Comment

 
T-Bone's World ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates