Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What changed your life musically?

Wednesday, February 11, 2009
If you know me even a little bit you know that I'm a huge music fan (and by huge I don't mean my physical size although I am a member of the Big Man club. I love cake and will not apologize for that fact. And by cake I mean the baked dessert and not the band Cake even though they are also one of my favorite bands and if I said that I loved them it would be a true statement.) My current musical man-crush is Will Sheff of Okkervil River. I've been listening to their latest release, The Stand Ins almost non stop for the past couple of months. It's a great record full of really interesting characters struggling with life and love and failure. It is definitely my favorite album of 2008.

So I was listening to this record again the other day and I started thinking about the first time I heard certain records and how much they have meant to me over the years. I think every music lover has at least one record or cd that changed the way you thought about music. For me, it was Weezer's Blue album. It was a Saturday afternoon in 1994. I was at Musicland in the Towne East mall in Wichita. I walked past one of the listening stations and I saw this blue cover with 4 of the geekiest looking kids I had ever seen. I remember thinking that I just had to hear what these guys sounded like. When the electric guitars kicked in after the first few acoustic bars of My Name is Jonas, I was hooked. By the time Rivers Quomo's voice half cracked/half rasped "my name is Wakefield" at the start of the 2nd verse there was no turning back. I had never heard anything like them before and at that moment I didn't want to ever hear anything else ever again. Only Weezer forever. Some days I still feel that way.

What record did that for you?

5 comments:

Being Robinson

Well I just HAVE to chime in. Mine has been a slow progression of my nearly 30 years, once of course I realized 'the rock music's' weren't from the devil of course. I'd have to say Johnny was my early influence. I would say more than a defining moment, I remember 'chunks' of time. Like when Johnny and I were into Tom Petty, I loved his music back then.

Cake was the highlight of my senior year and I think ever since then I knew (although I do still listen to the pop music once in awhile) I wasn't your average 'dumb' listener. In fact I was thinking about that just yesterday, how I appreciate music for the more 'sophisticated' ear and can say I have felt that way since college, with a few years of lapse in judgment here and there. I could go on forever in this comment but I won't. I'll just say right now The Postal Service and Greg Laswell were my top two albums of 2008. I do love me some Okkervil, with ya there!

Being Robinson

Heyo! Are you on Pandora?

T-Bone

I am indeed. I use it mostly on my iPhone. I likes it a bunch

Being Robinson

We can share playlists you know. Mmmmm iPhone. Ed has one but I'm choosing a shiny new camera over an iPhone for my birthday, I'm starting to wonder if that is the right choice...

T-Bone

The iPhone is only going to get cheaper and better. At this point, I would wait for the next gen hardware/firmware/feature set. So that just happened...I went into full nerd mode and didn't even realize it. I think I blacked out for a minute.

Anyway, that's cool about Pandora. Send me your username and I'll look you up!

Post a Comment

 
T-Bone's World ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates