Friday, February 23, 2007

Speaking from the Heart

Friday, February 23, 2007
This is a little long but it's really worth watching. It's easy to make fun of people like Brittany Spears and Lindsay Lohan and just sort of revel in the schadenfreude of their respective train wrecks/lives. Late night talk show host Craig Ferguson calls a bit of a time out here from everyone who is piling on Brittany and stops to remember for a second that at the end of the day we're talking about a 25 year old mother of 2 babies who, as he rightly states "clearly needs help". This is a rare TV moment of what appears to be genuine empathy by a late night host who really seems to be a class act. Kudos to Mr. Ferguson for having the courage to show a little kindness.

2 comments:

Candice

I saw that via Dooce.com, and I was really impressed. I don't know how people can make fun of Britney when it's clear that she's about an inch away from something absolutely disasterous.

It was alright at first; Oh, that crazy Britney! She just showed the paparazzi her who-ha! Ha ha!. But it's not okay anymore. It's scary and tragic and not funny at all. And I hope it doesn't take another Anna Nicole Smith-esque tragedy for the media to figure that out.

Anonymous

That was important and needed to be said. I wish that it wasn't on at 1130 at night, it should have been on the 5, 6 and 10 o' clock world news. I haven't really heard alot about the britany spears thing but I was thinking this about Anna Nicole Smith and the fact that desite her behavior she was a desperate person in need of something. We kind of talked about that when you were home... I don't really know what the balance is though, especially in his line of work. I mean, the "blow hards" and donald trump are as much people as Kevin Costner and Britany spears, so why should we laugh at the former and not the latter? I guess maybe he's saying he's just not comfortable with the laughing at the people who clearly have problems and not people in general?
I just erased a lot of rambling so I'll sum it up. I've often wondered about people I know or celebraties who just seem really screwed up and wondered how far they were from finding what they were looking for (I think that in the end we're all looking for the relationship with the One we were created for ...God.) and what it would take to get that person there. It's amazing to me that the worst or most pathetic person in the world is a prayer away from finding it. As my man pedro say's so perfectly "...almost there, it's on the tip of my tongue, and it never goes away, it never comes to stay."


http://www.xanga.com/Xjdub2X

Post a Comment

 
T-Bone's World ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates